Separate ED Fact From Fiction

 

A simple Google search for erectile dysfunction treatments quickly shows that there is no lack of information relating to this health condition. ED is a condition that has been studied for decades and, as a result, there is a lot of information available that people need to sift through. Normally, this amount of information wouldn’t be such a bad thing because people could read the information and then talk to their doctor about whether or not the information that they gathered is true. Unfortunately, many men do not feel comfortable when it comes to visiting a doctor about issues relating to ED and because of this, false information can become dangerous. Here at Charleston Men’s Clinic, we want to make sure that as many men as possible understand what is and is not true in relation to ED. To accomplish this, we are going to be dedicating a few blog posts to going over some of the most common myths surrounding erectile dysfunction and why, after a bit of analysis, these myths do not hold up to scrutiny.

Why are There so Many ED Myths?

 

As we stated earlier, many men are uncomfortable when it comes to approaching their doctor about ED issues. Society has placed quite a stigma on this particular medical condition which has resulted in a lot of “information” that is designed moreso to make people money than it is to help men improve their sexual health. Below, we have listed some of the most common myths that we come across.

 

Myth 1: ED refers to a specific problem

 

Many men have the misconception that ED refers to a single medical condition that is agreed upon by physicians. In reality, diagnoses related to erectile dysfunction often differ on a case by case basis. While it’s generally accepted that ED refers to the inability to achieve and maintain an erection, that is not the only definition that ED can fall under. In some cases, men have issues achieving an erection but, once achieved, are able to maintain one, while other men may struggle with maintaining an erection but have absolutely no issue with the beginning stages of sexual arousal. As you can see, ED isn’t a single issue but more of an umbrella term used to describe difficulties surrounding sexual performance.

 

Myth 2: Only older men deal with ED

 

Probably the most common myth out there about erectile dysfunction is the misconception that it only affects older men. While it is true that the likelihood of ED increases with age, it does not mean that younger men cannot experience issues. In a study released by the American Journal of Medicine, it was reported that 85 percent of men ages 20 to 39 could “always” or “almost always” get and maintain an erection. Looking at this data, one can extrapolate the fact that is 85 percent of men surveyed had no ED issues, the remaining 15 percent did. Though this may not suggest that these men experienced issues relating to ED every time they tried to have sex, it does mean that it is not just older men who struggle with this issue.

 

Myth 3: One bad night means you have ED

 

Another myth that we often come across is this idea that one bad night in the bedroom means that a man is experiencing ED. Taking even a small moment to think about this line of thinking is enough to show that it is an utter falsehood. No man is going to be perfect in the bedroom every single night. External factors, including stress, diet, alcohol consumption, and general fatigue, can take their toll and cause an off night to occur. So, before trying to treat your ED because of a single bad night, take the time to make sure that there were no other factors that may have been at play.

 

Join us again next time as we continue to go over some of the most common erectile dysfunction myths that we have come across. If you would like to learn more about the ED treatment options that we have available here at Charleston Men’s Clinic, please contact us today by giving us a call or filling out our contact form. We are a full-service clinic that specializes in men’s sexual health and we are certain that we can help you with any issues that you may be experiencing. Don’t waste time and money on ED treatments that have not been proven to work, contact us today and let us show you what effective treatment options we have to offer.